South Africa, mid 70s. When her husband becomes too ill to work, Poppie is deemed by the law to be an illegal resident in her own country. Based on the Elsa Joubert novel regarded as one of the best African novels of the century. The Love For Her Family Held No Curfew. Needed No Permit. Had No Boundaries.
directed by: Christiaan Olwagen
written by: Saartjie Botha, Christiaan Olwagen
cast: Chris Gxalaba, Rolanda Marais, Dawid Minnaar
genre: historical drama
production: South Africa
- based on true events
- directed by: Christiaan Olwagen, whose multi-award winning “Kanarie” was selected to screen at 34 Film Festivals and was sold to the U.S., UK and other major territories
- 12 Awards upon national premiere at Silwerskerm Festival inlcuding Best Film, Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best Actress)
- Universal themes: Love. Family. Hope. Overcoming adversity
- strong, relatable, female character
- based on Elsa Joubert’s multi-award winning novel “The Long Journey of Poppie Nongena”
- South African Oscar submission
- produced by: Helena Spring, primetime Emmy Award nominee.